Best Practices For Students
We ask all students and/or alumni who are participating in the AUC Connect program to treat one another with respect and consideration. Please refer to these guidelines for how to act. Help us create a vibrant and supportive AUC community.
- Show initiative. You should take responsibility for being the main driver of the relationship. Set an agenda for your meetings to stay on track and get your questions answered. Alumni expect you to ask insightful questions that you cannot find answers to online or elsewhere. Please keep your goals in mind during each meeting. Working toward the goals is critical to the success of any relationship.
- Be grateful. Thank your alumni for their time. Respect the time commitment. Arrive to all meetings on time and keep your emails concise.
- Follow up. Let your alumni know what resulted from your conversation and how their advice worked out.
- Stay positive. Try to stay positive and professional when discussing difficult situations.
- Avoid transactional exchanges. Most of your time with the alum will be spent receiving feedback concerning your goals. However, remember that the alum should enjoy connecting with you, so take the time to listen to their stories and be authentic.
- Review the Alum's profile. Become familiar with their career path and expertise.
- Reflect on your goals. What are your goals for what you want to get out of this relationship? What do you need and expect from the alum to help achieve these goals?
- Come prepared. What goals are you trying to achieve through this connection. Write out your list of questions/topics and have a clear agenda set.
- Have a good time. Relax and enjoy yourself. The alum has volunteered their time because they want to help you.